Monday, May 26, 2014

Our Memorial Day Weekend!

It really is amazing how fast time goes by. And crazy how fast children grow up. Becoming a blended family is never easy but we have been very lucky. Chad and I are two parents that love children (Especially our own) and when all three get together our beginning thoughts are "Here we go!" But end up being "How did we get so lucky?" These kids are incredible. 

While driving to Duckpuddle Campground in Nobleboro, by the time we reached Augusta they started a countdown to how long it would take to get there. Brad told the time by his watch while Anderson and Jayden talked the entire 40 minutes. When it got down to 16 minutes Anderson said "Wow, time is going by so fast!" and it was! Because they were having fun!

We set up our tent and Chad took the kids fishing while I helped my band, Sharon Buck & Dixon Road, set up to play. The kids played all evening long. Chad built a fire and they had s'mores for dessert. By the time I reached the site, Anderson and Jayden were passed out in the tent. The trick was getting us all comfortable! Let's just say Chad and I didn't sleep very well! LOL There are just some sacrifices you make to make sure your kids are happy! But we did find out these 3 things while at our first time camping as a family:

#1: Always make sure to bring an egg crate mattress for the bottom of the tent (we adults were sore Sunday!)

#2: Kids steal all the covers

#3: Chad and I both fit in his single survival sleeping bag

I LOVE #3!

Yesterday we came home in the morning because Chad had yardwork to do. It was the first mowing of the year and the grass and dandelions were so thick. I know how much we said we hated the rain but the lawn drank it up and came back so nice this year!

The kids road their bikes, played basketball, jumped on the trampoline and helped Chad with the yardwork. They even made their own lunches! Then we took them fishing! They had been begging to go so we loaded up the car again and took them to a small pond. I think all but Bradley caught something. Poor guy.

We were so hungry we went to the Benton Fun Park. While I ordered dinner, Jayden and Anderson went on pony rides in the field. When a little girl sees a horse...well they instantly fall in love! You can't say no that look!

Back at home, Chad said for me to stop doing laundry (load #3) and to come outside and relax. He had set me a chair in the sun in the garage so I could watch the kids play their made up version of kickball while he played and sang me songs on the guitar.

If someone had told me 8 years ago life could really be this way, I would have cried. I never thought I could have this kind of life. Is it perfect? No. We still struggle with money sometimes ( who doesn't? ) and when we don't see eye to eye, we have to talk things out. Times like those don't last very long, though. 

When we first started dating, Chad told me I could talk to him about anything. And I really can. He sometimes laughs at my questions because, well, being almost 40, he would have thought I knew the answers to some already. It's amazing how being brought up 60 miles apart 2 COMPLETELY different ways and families make us each know about COMPLETELY different things!

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

This Memorial Day weeekend, I hope you find time with YOUR family. Acknowledge the veterans who have served and spare a moment to give thanks. And take a moment to realize that what you have now is all thanks to them.

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet blog. Will be an album to which you can always refer. Nice job & sooo glad you all had fun together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lois! Family time is the BEST time!!

      Delete